[Kde-hardware-devel] volume uuid

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Wed Oct 10 20:44:43 CEST 2007

> > > - Does it work for CD/DVD media?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > 	- What happens when a second session is appended to an "RW" medium?
> >
> > Good question actually, I didn't make a multi-session CD for ages... I
> > suspect that each session will have a different UUID though, since atm
> > the only available volume is the latest session you'll get the
> > corresponding UUID.
>
> HAL doesn't handle multi-sessions on CD/DVD media. This is a open TODO.
> Currently you get only one volume for such media.

It's actually fine for me if the UUID does not care for extra volumes. From
the users point of view sessions are merged on a CD, and from my point of
view I just want to uniquely identify the CD, regardless of added sessions
(it would be worst case if the UUID changed when adding a session!)

> > > - Does it work for remote shares, NFS and the like?
> >
> > Well, Solid knows nothing about remote shares, they're not about hardware
> > discovery at all.

Yes of course.

> HAL also not.
>
> > > - Will the UUID be portable across OS's, i.e. will the Windows backend
> > > (if there is one) return the same value as from Linux when I access the
> > > same harddisk partition on the same machine?
> >
> > AFAIK Yes. Note that they're more useful for removable media (like cds)
> > than fixed ones though, since the uuid will be constant accross computer
> > (actually it's generated once and written in the medium).
>
> I would say the same here.

The question was motivated by the situation that when at some time digikam +
Solid run on windows, and the images are on a common partition with Linux,
can the database be shared. And if then the UUID is the same, no need to care
for different absolute paths. (or even drive letters. "C:\". ah)