[Kde-hardware-devel] multithreading restrictions?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sat Nov 17 17:26:40 CET 2007

Hi,

I have lately been observing a problem with Solid:
I have moved tasks to a thread, and this includes calls to Solid.
The main thread is suspended in an event loop.
A call to Solid::Device::listFromType then causes a "pause" in the thread, it
hangs for a few seconds and then continues successfully. This is not always
reproducible, though the other cases might involve a shorter, not
subjectively noticable "pause".

My question is: Is this a bug, or are there restrictions on calling Solid
methods from a non-UI thread?
Note that this is typically the first call to Solid; it seems that subsequent
calls operating on objects from the retrieved list work without problem.

Thanks
Marcel