[Kde-hardware-devel] [solid] bandwidth control support

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Wed May 2 11:08:04 CEST 2007

On Friday 27 April 2007, Bráulio Oliveira said:
> This is my first message to this mailing list, and the subject is bandwidth
> control.
> I'm planning to create and easy-to-use (Solid/Qt style) support for
> bandwidth control using Linux packets shedulers (CFQ, HTB, ....). Is this
> kind of thing suitable for Solid?
> An initial uml diagram is attached.

Hi Bráulio

We recently redesigned Solid with the strict 'less is more' design principle
that the API should be useful for the 95% of KDE user applications, so that
the API is small and lightweight and not made over-complex by uses that will
only be used by one or two applications.

To do this we were ruthless and moved a lot of our own code out of Solid into
other libraries (libsolidcontrol in kdebase for example).

I think that your suggestion for a bandwidth control library using the solid
style is a cool idea but isn't needed by many KDE applications, so I would
suggest that you develop it outside of Solid.  But please do make it a
library and use the Solid frontend/backend abstraction so that other
applications can use it and not only on Linux, and if you need any advice on
the Solid architectural style just ask here.

best wishes

Will