[Kde-hardware-devel] Version of HAL needed for Solid

Chris Gow sniffy at rogers.com
Mon Feb 26 21:10:40 CET 2007

Hello:

I'm playing with Solid on a Linux environment with HAL 0.5.7.1 and it appears
that CDs do not get identified as OpticalDiscs. I get a Volume signal
instead. If I run lshal -m from a shell and insert a CD I see a single
message identifying the CD as a volume:

$lshal -m

Start monitoring devicelist:
acpi_BAT0 property battery.voltage.current = 15912 (0x3e28)

volume_part_1_size_580775936 added

If I run the same test on an environment with 0.5.8 I get additional signals:

storage_serial_K0027PF1829 property storage.removable.media_available = true
storage_serial_K0027PF1829 property storage.removable.media_size = 580775936
(0x229df000)
volume_part_1_size_580775936 added

So I'm pretty sure its a problem with my version of HAL, but I would like to
know if Solid is supposed to work with  HAL 5.7.x or since Solid/KDE 4 won't
be released until later that you the Solid designers expect distributions to
have newer versions of HAL.

Just looking for clarification as I can probably workaround this for now.

Thanks

-- chris