[Kde-hardware-devel] Audio- / Mixer-Interface ( KMix )

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Mon Jul 10 10:06:48 CEST 2006

On Saturday 08 July 2006 13:26, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > I am not sure whether the next questions are "Solid" questions at all:
> > 5) How could KMix be notified about system wide setting, e.g. the
> > preferred audio card? Is this a Solid or more likely a Phonon task?
>
> This kind of settings belong to Phonon. It's already there afaik.

Hmm well, the KCM is there to select the device, but it doesn't do
anything. :-)

> > 6) Does Solid support mapping "audio output device" to the corresponding
> > "mixer device"? Reason for this question: For tuning the Surround volumes
> > with KMix, I would like to play sounds on the corresponding "audio output
> > device".
> >    Is the mapping a Solid or more likely a Phonon task?

The problem here is that Phonon only knows about the devices existance from
the backend. And only the backend could tell you what the corresponding mixer
device is (if at all). So it looks like the Phonon backend interface needs to
be able to report the hardware mixer device for a given audio device. Then in
KMix you could call a function like BackendCapabilities::mixerDeviceFor(
const ObjectDescription& audioDevice ) where audioDevice could be either a
AudioOutput or AudioCapture device description. An alternative could be to
let the device information be written to a configuration file. Then KMix
wouldn't need to link to Phonon and load a backend only for figuring out the
mixer device.

Let me know what works best for you.

--
C'ya