[Kde-hardware-devel] Name Resolution (The non domain kind)

Christopher Blauvelt cblauvelt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 06:15:24 CEST 2006

After looking through Wil's patch there are a couple things that make
it diffiicult to merge given the changes that I've made off of Kevin's
guidance.  In summary these changes were:
- Remove the Net namespace and directory, putting everything in the
solid base directory.
- change wifi to wifinetwork (not really a problem just here for the
sake of completion)
- only have one singleton

As such I have done the following:
- Removed the Net namespace and replaced all mention of Wifi with WifiNetwork
- Removed the NetworkManager class and only have the TCPIPManager
class.  This is the only singleton and serves as the front-end API
- Removed the "Net" directory and put everything in Solid
- Merged the two enums.h files (as a consequence of removing the Net directory)
- Removed multiple inheritance (it wasn't really needed anyway)

Kevin, you told me that once I made these change we would have to
choose our class names carefully, well you were right :)  The main
problem comes from Will's inclusion of a class called device, which
you may remember is already taken by the hardware manager.  I think
that many of the functions in the device class should be done in the
TCPIPNetwork, as I think they are pretty much one and the same,
otherwise a "network" is a pretty abstract thing that wouldn't need to
exist.  It seems more that what the device class was referring to was
the interface more than the device itself.
So it seems more appropriate to call the what is now the NetworkIface
class the NetworkDevice class since everything in that class is device
specific.

I like the idea of having Encryption be it's only class.  It opens up
the possibility of having a lot more options without crowding the
TCPIPNetwork class.  Finally with the patch, it seems as though the
frontend is being designed around NM as opposed to being more generic
(I say that from looking at the enums included in
Net::Ifaces::Enums::Device)  would it be possible to move more of that
stuff into the backend?

Thoughts?
Chris