[Kde-hardware-devel] Current status, tasks assignment

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Apr 5 22:24:42 CEST 2006

Hello list,

As some of you might have noticed, we reached milestone 3 of the roadmap [R] a
few days ago.

We've now an interesting set of capabilities available. Currently they're
mostly tied to storage management, and now it has to change. That's why M4
and M5 are focusing on network and power management.

I currently didn't start to work on M4 because of two reasons:
1) give some more time to Will for preparing the work done around
NetworkManager for integration (if he's still willing to work on it of
course)
2) I'll step down a bit on Solid to work on KIO, in particular the job
handling would require to be factored out since we're using them for tasks
not related to KIO (and AFAIK there's some job support in Akonadi [A] too, so
having the job logic independent of KIO looks like a must have).

In the mean time, there's some important work to do in the Solid land IMHO:
 - Improve the Fake backend for hardware discovery
 - Prepare a conformance test suite for hardware discovery backends (the fake
backend would act as the reference implementation)
 - Settle about which information is required for Phonon (which is basically
non existent on the current roadmap, shame on me)
 - Improve the command line client (solidshell)

Of course, opinions and volunteers are welcome.

Regards.

[R] http://solid.kde.org/cms/1002
[A] http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."