[kde-guidelines] One HIG to rule them all

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Mon Sep 7 22:27:25 UTC 2015

Hi everyone!
With the advent of Plasma Mobile ( http://plasma-mobile.org/ for anybody
living under a rock), developers for mobile applications of course also need
HIGs.
A group of people has convened to think about the HIGs for mobile, and we came
to the conclusion that, given that we want applications to be available cross-
platform (though with an optimized UI for each class of devices), the mobile
HIG should not be separated form the desktop HIG.
Therefore, the idea was to have everything in one place, with "Every HIG
applies to all devices until it says otherwise" as the default and explicit
exceptions in the  the cases where the ideal design is different between
device classes.
This would have several advantages:
1. Less duplicate content
2. Raising awareness of the fact that devs should not think about only one
class of devices if their app makes sense on more than one class
3. Those writing the HIGs being aware of all device classes we want our
software to run on while doing so

Are there any objections to this approach?
If not, I will begin going throough our HIGs and looking for where device-
class-specifics are necessary.

Best,
Thomas