[kde-guidelines] One HIG to rule them all

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Mon Oct 5 19:51:52 UTC 2015

On Saturday 03 October 2015 21:56:13 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> On Friday 02 October 2015 20:07:14 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Now the idea is (based on a suggestion by Alex L) to reorganize the HIG as
> > follows:
> > At this point we'd have these sections:
> > - General
> > - Desktop
> > - Phone
> > - Tablet/Active
>
> On the first glance it makes sense. But on the other hand it sounds a little
> bit like dealing with two guidelines in parallel. We could, for instance,
> easily copy the guidelines about listbox and dropdown into one page. Most
> of the text  is euqal. On the pro side it's a good way to show the
> convergence between the systems (how is desktop vs. touch/mobile called
> actually?)

Indeed. I'm still a bit torn here. The further we go down to elementary
widgets, the less differences there are between the device classes (this is
the term I've used so far, for lack of an "official" one). Larger patterns, on
the other hand (like the drawers), are more device-class-specific.

Maybe the fact that I've until now mostly done the rather device-specific
things (because that's what the devs need first) is the reason why my
initially favored approach now doesn't look so sensible to me anymore.
Okay, maybe I'll just continue with the current approach (combined pages) and
then when we have defined most stuff for both desktop and phone we can see
what makes more sense.