[kde-guidelines] Some simple updates to the HIG

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Sat Sep 27 06:52:31 UTC 2014

On Friday 26 September 2014, 16:37:17 Andrew Lake wrote:
> Let me know if it's ok to "ship it!". :-)

The landing page is pretty nice, easy to scan, and I agree with renaming and
collapsing of the Structure section. The disadvantage is that it adds another
click. Which is acceptable, IMHO. And we could think about having a breadcrumb
on top.

But I'd change the section on patterns. Right now it's found below Navigation
which sounds reasonable for the navigational and content pattern itself, but
that's actually only due to the name. We should move both sections to a more
prominent position, like Getting Started > Information Architecture. And
patterns in terms of the combination of controls are some kind of solution to
complex problems, for instance search and replace. So why not place it at
Getting Started > Best Practice?

Nevertheless, great work, Andrew! And for sure our HIG is more than
competitive with Gnome :-).

Cheers,
Heiko.