[kde-guidelines] Minimal app size

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Oct 3 12:06:27 UTC 2014

On Thursday 02 October 2014 15:40:13 Andrew Lake wrote:
> No objections from me, Heiko.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Andrew
>
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Heiko Tietze <heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com>
> wrote:
> > * KDE seeks to support XGA (1024x768px).

While it's technically not wrong to say "KDE [=the community] seeks to support
XGA", it makes it sound more like a political statement "We, KDE, support XGA
screens!".
Suggestion: "KDE seeks to make our software work well on screens with an XGA
(1024x768px) resolution".

I'm also still not sure which resolution we should support, though. I don't
think anyone runs fifth-generation KDE software on an XGA screen (because
those are, like, really really old). On the other hand, many laptops/netbooks
in use today still have quite low vertical resolution, like WXGA (1280x800).
Some KDE applications (like Calligra) are optimized for widescreen monitors
now, and that does make sense to me, given that widescreen has dominated the
market for quite a few years now.
So the question is: Should we promote aiming for widescreen by setting WXGA as
the minimum, or stick to 4:3 XGA (which would mean that the applications would
fit vertically on WXGA screens, but not make use of the available vertical
space)?

Otherwise the changes look very good!