[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 03:38:05 UTC 2014

Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> > This is relatively easily addressed by a collapsible Options section
> under
> > Search that is exposed, or made available to be exposed, when search is
> > active. In practice, I've found this works quite well.
>
> Picture, please ;) I guess I understand what you mean on an abstract level,
> but would like to see it "in action"

I did it again! What was I thinking? Haha, no problem. When I got home
after work I did a quick mockup showing what the progression looks like for
the fake file manager:
http://wstaw.org/m/2014/03/26/Category_search_pattern.png

I'm pretty sure I'm violating some HIG alignment guidelines somewhere
there, but I hope you get the idea - progressively reveal more
functionality as the user needs it.

> We could still place the search/filter field above the other categories
> even
> if it's a "real" search, couldn't we?

Oh yeah, I think that'd be totally fine. Maybe consider the pattern I''m
offering here could be another option for UI designs that already have a
category/content selection pane controlling a separate content pane. I
definitely don't think the other pattern has to be wrong for this to be an
option.

> Actually, one part of the project that got me involved with KDE more than
> five

years ago (damn, time flies!) was exactly that, and its results can still be
> seen here:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/SOU_Workspace#Design_Patterns
> Sadly it hasn't really taken off (yet), but I'd love to revive that project
> together with you and anyone else interested!

So excited about this! Totally in the wheelhouse of contributions I'd very
much like to make as VDG member.

Heiko Tietze wrote:
> ... Please stay with us and suggest new
> stuff for the HIG.

Oh no no, please don't take my previous mail to mean I'm taking my stuff
and heading home! I'm totally sticking around to drive you all nuts! jk I'm
immensely grateful for the welcoming feeling I've gotten here. Like I said,
no matter the outcome in this particular case, I'm confident it'll be a win
for a community in the end. :-)

Much respect,
Andrew