[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 23:38:57 UTC 2014

Oh yeah,

I totally agree that only when there is already another way to browse
through the information at the top level should search share that
interaction pattern. For the moment I see that pattern in file managers,
media players with libraries, kickoff style menus and the like. For me that
covers quite a few applications that traditionally use search.

Taking a stab a filter functionality makes great sense to me.

Regarding the size of the search field on the left, there are couple ways
I've dealt with that in my applications:
1. Wherever the search field is placed, on the left or not, some decision
has to be made about a reasonable size.
2. I've found that space for about 25 characters seem to serve vast
majority of search needs. That's my anecdotal experience developing my
apps, but a simple user study can validate an reasonable number. (Also
search fields for Apple's iTunes and spotlight and Microsoft's Windows 8
search panel and several apps aren't a great deal bigger.)
3. When more space is needed, make the left panel size resizable with a
minimum size corresponding to the minimum size of the search field (~20
characters) and have the search field always fill the width of the panel.
It is exactly the same interaction model the user employs to see more
characters in any of the other non-search categories in the left pane -
resize the pane.

I confess the mockups could probably use more space in the left pane
following these steps, but not insurmountable I don't think. The Bangarang
screenshot shows how these steps can actually solve that problem.

Regarding a dedicated search widget, my personal opinion as just one member
of the VDG (so not speaking for the group) is that we have all the tools we
need to solve UI problems elegantly and beautifully with existing widgets
(they are amazingly flexible and powerful). What's really needed are some
clear and helpful design patterns (specific widget arrangements) to help
app developers understand how to put the widgets together in the right way
to solve a particular information/interaction problem.

With the thought you folks here are already putting into this, I'm excited
to see what great design patterns we come up with for search and filtering

Hope this helps!
Andrew