[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Mar 24 15:16:02 UTC 2014

Am 23.03.2014 16:25:08, schrieb Philipp Stefan:
> I have made some mockups concerning the placement of the search field.

Great work! I like it all ;-)
But why do you change the search icon (magnifier) into a yin-yang whatever arrow? Overloading a control is bad usability in most cases.

> [2/A] Here I tried to integrate the search field with the search button.

Users might understand the search function to be related to the topics.
> [3/B] Placement on the upper right.
> [4/C] Top centred search field.

My aesthetic appreciation prefers 4/C. But all mockups replace the original header line. This is a problem when the content jumps down on search, that means when a further search bar is opened. Can't we integrate them? Perhaps right hand of the address line (> cool wallpapers).

> [5/D] Search field on the bottom.

I think it's a no-go to open a small input on demand somewhere at the bottom.
 > I would find [2/A] to be the most elegant solution, but the limited
> space makes it also impractical when searching for longer search terms.
> This could be of course the solved by scaling down the font used, but it
> would also introduce some visual inconsistency.

Scaling the font is treated as crime in some circles :-).