[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Mar 17 22:45:53 UTC 2014

On Monday 17 March 2014 23:30:56 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> On Monday 17 March 2014, 23:05:24 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > I see filter vs. search and instant vs. on enter/button as orthogonal.
> > Okay, filtering should usually be fast enough to work as you type, but
> > search as you type with an actual search is well possible, too. See
> > Dolphin's search feature or KRunner, for example. They both perform
> > actual searches, but still works instantly. And from all I've heard, it
> > will work even better with baloo. Why would we have users click a button
> > first if we can effortlessly search as they type as well?
>
> Is it really consistent if you have an instant search at on time and a
> 'classic' later? Even if we apply philiphorger's nice idea with different
> icons [1] it would be something new. But I'm open for all approaches.

No, they would always be instant (maybe with a slight delay if the query is
too complex). Just like they are now. Everything that is Semantic Search (aka
Nepomuk/baloo)-powered has always been instant. What would be inconsistent?

I like the idea in the forum, too, but I don't think the different icons
should indicate different "states" of the same search function. Either a
search function is based on very fast and resource-efficient search engine so
that it can be always instant, or it isn't and thus has to be always "search
on click/enter".

> > Hm, it seems like we're talking about different thins. I thought the icon
> > in "Search input consists of an icon, a line input to enter the search
> > pattern, and a button to start the search." was referring to the
> > binoculars next to the inout in Kickoff, for example. And I've not seen
> > that
> > combination anywhere else. Neither in Dolphin nor in KMail nor anywhere
> > else I looked. If you did mean that icon: Where else did you see it? If
> > not: Which one did you mean?
>
> You are right, there is no icon. And I don't remember where I spotted them.
> Anyway, I believe it is a good idea to identify 'search bars'. And the best
> way to do so is IMHO an icon.

An icon certainly makes it most obvious, yes, but I think putting "Search"
into the empty search field works well enough (it seems to be the de facto
standard, at least) and looks more lightweight.