[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Mar 17 10:14:17 UTC 2014

I'd suggest to move usability or rather HIG related discussions into the
guidelines ML. I'll cross post for now.

On Thursday 13 March 2014, 14:17:48 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>- "Start the search process via button or when the user pressed enter." This
would exclude all "search as you type" functionality (which the currently many
of search features in KDE offer). Suggestion:
>"If the search can be performed quickly and with low resource usage, start
searching as the user types. If the search requires more resources (such as
computationally intensive search, reading lots of data from disk or
transferring lots of data over the network), start searching only when the
user presses enter or clicks the search button"

Search vs. filter makes a big difference like Ctrl+I/F in Dolphin (as franku
pointed out). My attempt for discrimination: A search takes all items and
increases the result list based the query pattern; a filter reduces the result
list based of the (limited) input list. That might be the user's picture
because technically both do very similar operations.

"Search as you type" would be still a core functionality for filters. I
understand it in terms of the auto-complete feature of
[url=http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/DropDown]drop down
lists[/url]. A guideline based on technical limitation (quickly, resources..)
would be okay as well but less descriptive.

>-Do we really need the icon next to the line input?
Well, actually we do have an icon there (in most cases). And I like the idea
of easy identification.

>- On the "Appearance" section, do you mean that all these things would be
"allowed"?
The sub items are exclusive. If we define a more or less new guideline we
should ask what users want.

|Sogatori at the forum: Most OSes and webpages seems to favour a magnifying
glass
I agree. The magnifier is IMHO less obtrusive compared to the actual spy glass.