[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Mar 6 14:23:06 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,
David just pointed a change to the new Kickoff Plasmoid out to me which
- at least to me - makes it clear that we need an HIG for the
implementation of search functionality.
The change in this case was that the visible search/filter bar was
replaced by a hidden one, which only becomes visible as you type. This
is basically what GNOME/GTK apps do (e.g. Nautilus or Pidgin).
I think whether search/filter bars should be always visible or appear as
the user types is debatable (KDE apps currently go for always visible
and work fine with it, GTK apps work okay with hidden ones as well).
What is not debatable is one Plasmoid going against all the rest. While
I think convincing the Kickoff people to change it back should be easy
enough, this clearly shows to me that an HIG for search features is
necessary.
It should not only define whether search fields are always visible or
not, but also how search results should be presented, whether the search
be within or only from the beginning, etc.

Do you guys agree that such an HIG is necessary? If so, I think we
should first decide whether KDE should stick to always visible search
fields or switch to hidden ones, then I can start writing the guideline
(unless Heiko would like to step up to do it ;) ).

Cheers,
Thomas