[kde-guidelines] Goal of the HIG

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Sun Jul 27 15:37:16 UTC 2014

On Sunday 27 July 2014, 14:10:20 Philipp Stefan wrote:
> I don't think what we're doing is wrong, but I think it could be improved...

I can't agree more.

This particular page concerns primarily designers that should create
animations in a way that is guided by the text. The organization of the HIG is
based on the concept of the 'Universal Model of a User Interface'. It contains
the section Structure with, for instance, the page on Persona. It explains how
to create a persona, and how to use it. No dev will ever read it, and also the
usability guys don't. But it is a documentation one can refer to. And I don't
know any dev who reads a text about how to use a button, which can be found at
the second tier, Behavior. The same is true for Presentation, in particular
animations. What makes sense is the best practice, in terms of the actual
personas, the actual way buttons have to be placed or labeled, and the final
animation.

But in order to keep the result transparent and reproducible, I think the
guidelines have to start with basics. (Actually, I think the animations
guideline - you wrote the posting as follow up to this page - is done in this
way: ideas how to design animations at the moment, and why it was done as it
is in future.) On the other hand I fully agree that we have to complete it
with much more examples, both good and bad. And of course it would be nice to
have devs on board who adds code snippets similar to final graphic design.

Cheers, Heiko.

PS: Critiques are always welcome. Especially such constructive as yours.