[kde-guidelines] Typography HIG update

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 07:04:23 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 4:01 AM, Andrew Lake <jamboarder at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been overdue for updating the typography section of the HIG in order to
> provide some clearer guidance during the visual design process. After
> completing a UI patterns survey followed by selecting and allocating a set
> of typefaces styles, here is the proposed update:
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/User:Andrew/Typography
>
> Please let me know if there are any question or concerns. If not I'll go
> ahead and update to the typography HIG.
>
>From a developer using the HIG perspective, I want to add a few things.

There is a user setting for setting the smallest readable font and the
menu font and the window title font. We should be using these.
(http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdeui/html/classKGlobalSettings.html
)

Developers should not be doing font*0.8 in their code ever.

It's a bit confusing as Plasma have diverged into their own thing
(http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/plasma-qml-apidocs/Heading.html)

We should probably unify these, even if it means adding code somewhere

>Limit line length to between eight and ten words per line. For typographic categories that use an all caps typeface, limit to between three and four words per line.

Do we ever encourage all caps?
I'm not sure this line length this is particularly do-able. Especially
with i18n.

>Layouts with dynamic type resizing should be carefully considered

Does this whole paragraph mean "don't randomly scale your text to fit spaces"?