[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Vision

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Jan 29 09:28:28 UTC 2014

On 29.01.2014 10:13, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Am 28.01.2014 22:40:38, schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
>
>      > But is KTp really a prototypical project?
>
>     I don't know what would make a "prototypical KDE project", but I
>     don't think
>     KTp's vision would be fundamentally different from other projects'
>     visions.
>     They offer benefits to certain users with certain tasks in certain
>     situations.
>

> As for the other pages: if we take KTp as an example it should be
> prototypical for KDE on the whole. Wouldn't it make more sense to create
> generic persona and scenario that could be used or modified by apps? For
> persona its a clear yes but scenarios are often completely different and
> project specific. But if you (and all other) think thats okay or want to
> rework stuff go ahead. Let's build the KDE around KTp :-)

Okay, it seems that we're thinking about slightly different things. When
I suggested KTp as an example, I just thought about having a "real world
example" to illustrate what we mean by "vision".
What you seem to have in mind is something like a "template" for the
structure and content of a vision which other projects then can adapt
for themselves.

I think that for an example, it doesn't matter much how "prototypical"
it is. It could even be for a project not related to KDE at all. I first
thought about using GIMPs product vision [1] as an example, but since it
diverges a lot from the basic structure you suggest in the HIG and is
also longer than you suggest a vision to be, maybe it wouldn't work so
well to illustrate our ideas.

If we want to provide more of a "template", it should be more generic,
and I wouldn't use a "real world" example at all, to keep people from
sticking too much to that specific project.

So, what do we want to provide? An example? A template? Both?

> PS: I admit that KTp did the most effort for and has the completest
> documentation about usability engineering.

Using KTp as an example would make sense because its maintainer is part
of our team and I work very closely with him and the team in general
(and you have already worked with them as well).

[1] http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/GIMP_UI_Redesign#product_vision