[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Scenario

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jan 28 19:54:00 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 14:53:58 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Structure > Task flow
> * Define a scenario where persona(s) interact with your application.
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Scenario
>
> == Purpose ==
> A ''scenarios'' describes the whys and wherefores a
> [[Projects/Usability/HIG/Persona|persona]] make use of the application. It
> illustrates how the user achieves the goals by means of a task-orientated
> example. In contrast to ''use cases'' known from requirements engineering a
> scenario is more descriptive. It is supplementary to persona, providing
> together an efficient method applicable it in a wide range of applications.
>
> == Guidelines ==
> * Always create scenarios on ground of empirical data.

Since we ask people to collect empirical data, we should tell them how to do
that. Are you planning to write a guideline on user research as well? If not,
we should at least point people to freely available resources about user
research, since I don't think it's something one can do intuitively without
any guidance.

> * Take technical configuration, environmental condition, organizational and
> social aspects into consideration.
> * If available, use real world images to
> support imagination.
> * Try to include problem situations that will test the system concept, not
> just straightforward scenarios.
>
> == Best Practice ==

An example scenario would be very helpful here, because I don't think people
can envision what a scenario really looks like from the description above
alone.

Other than those, I find the text very good. I did some small language
improvements directly in the wiki.