[kde-guidelines] Styleguide, Section 1 (Vision, Persona, Scenario)

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Feb 3 13:26:11 UTC 2014

On Monday 03 February 2014, 13:58:24 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Summing it up: I would love to keep to ammount of personas as small as
> > possible - I think this would even help to reach more consistency
>
> Sure. I don't think we'll have that many distinct types of users anyway,
> so I think that goal can be reached either way. I assume we'll end up
> with maybe around five personas or so.
> I just think that if one wants to make e.g. a software for instant
> messaging in the workplace, a persona for "An office worker who uses our
> software at his workplace, but not for his primary task" would be more
> helpful than a persona for "a person who uses instant messaging",
> because the former could be used for a whole range of applications,
> where the context is always the same.

The office is part of the scenario! Berna (the first persona), is smart but not
tech-savvy. She does not want to care about technological background. Her
occupation in an office brings her in contact with Calligra & co. She has a few
contacts to whom she wants to chat in the afternoon. No problem at all.

To dump a different call: Why do we need more than two personas? Of course,
KStars or Krita have different audience, but in general it might be enough.
Microsoft describes, as far as I know, the users of Windows by four personas.