[kde-guidelines] Styleguide, Section 1 (Vision, Persona, Scenario)

Björn Balazs b at lazs.de
Mon Feb 3 09:16:28 UTC 2014

Am Sonntag, 2. Februar 2014, 20:18:49 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> On Thursday 30 January 2014 21:26:12 Björn Balazs wrote:

> > > Given that I hosted the session about the creation KDE-wide personas at
> > > last year's Akademy, I think my position on those is clear ;)
> >
> > Perfect. We could even try to figure out 'classes' of KDE applications and
> > suggest which personas could be used by them. This would be the same for
> > other shared artefacts.
>
> I'm not sure whether we should do that, or whether we should leave it to the
> projects to decide which user group they want to target. For example if
> there is a persona for a student who uses KDE software at school, that
> persona may be the first that comes to mind for educational applications,
> but would be likely to use e.g. office or creative applications as well.
> Then each office or creative application should decide whether they want to
> target that persona or not, or they could decide to create an alternative
> GUI specifically for the student persona.
> For me, that would reflect our actual userbase better: There is no userbase
> specific to a certain class of applications. There are users with certain
> background or which use our software in certain contexts, but I assume many
> of them use more than one class of applications (though some groups may
> indeed use only one class of applications, or maybe even just a single
> application and no other KDE applications).

You know people are lazy :) - So I would never say: Use only these personas -
but rather try to offer a set of personas, project can choose from if they
like. If they do not find a suitable persona for their project, they can
create their own, just using the other personas as templates (and then adding
their persona to the pool of personas, so others can re-use them again).

Summing it up: I would love to keep to ammount of personas as small as
possible - I think this would even help to reach more consistency :)

Agreed.