[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 16:47:36 UTC 2014

>From a user perspective I think I can see some functional differences
between search versus filtering, even in the same folder.

So let's say Jane has Dolphin open in her Documents folder. Let's say Jane
has ~100 miscellaneous files there that have built up over the years. Jane
also has under Documents several more structured folders with oodles of
files as well for different projects over the years, travel expense reports
and receipts.
Jane thinks that the file she's looking for is one of those ~100
miscellaneous files because that where she typically put documents that
aren't project or travel expense related. She thinks the filename starts
with "sta"  but isn't sure. So she opens the filter function on Dolphin and
types "sta". What she expects is that out of ~100 files Dolphin shows in
the Documents folder, some subset will be displayed with filenames starting
with or containing "sta". She just wants to reduce the set of data that was
already *visible* in Dolphin. She chose filter instead of search because
she doesn't care about the 200 or so files in the Documents/Littlesburg
Train Station project folder and its subfolders with "sta" in their
filename, .

She's essentially just restricting her search to what is currently
*visible* and not trying to recursively search the contents of the
currently displayed Documents folder. She's still conceptually searching.
But how she's searching, even in the current folder, is quite different. I
do think we can still unify the presentation of say the search/filter text
field. But we may need a way to offer the "just restrict my search to what
is currently visible, without recursion" functionality that filter
provides. Perhaps a search mode toggle of some sort. It might also
ameliorate any understandable developer concerns about unifying search and
filtering.

Separately, perhaps it might be worth distinguishing this pattern from a
word/item-highlight search where the content isn't altered but the found
items are simply highlighted and you can walk through each search "hit".

P.S. I do think we should consider my sidebar search suggestion as a
separate, maybe experimental, pattern to revisit at a later date after
we've sorted out this basic search pattern.