[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Frame

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Sep 27 11:12:23 UTC 2013

On 27.09.2013 10:56, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Viewing and Navigation > Grouping
> * Use a frame for arrangement of controls without a caption.
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Frame
>
> == Purpose ==
> A ''frame'' (also known as panel) is an unlabeled rectangular control that
> surrounds a set of related controls.
>
> A frame is a way to show relationships visually; it provides no additional
> functionality.
> == Example ==
> == Guidelines ==
> === Is this the right control ===
> * Use a frame to arrange related controls that cannot be labeled. But always
> consider to use a labeled [[Projects/Usability/HIG/GroupBox| group box]].
> * Do not group single controls.
> * Consider to communicate relationship by layout only.
> === Behavior ===
> * Do not nest grouping elements; use layout to show relationships within a
> group.
> * Do not disable groups. To indicate that a group of controls doesn't
> currently apply, disable all the controls within the group, but not the group
> itself.
> * Put a [[Projects/Usability/HIG/Splitter| splitter]] between aligned grouping
> controls.
>
> ===  Appearance ===
> * Use a 'raised' shadow if the frame is used to convey relationship.
>
> == Implementation ==
>
> [[Category:Usability]][[Category:Behavior]][[Category:Viewing_and_Navigation]]
> [[Category:Grouping]]

Hm, should we really have a separate guideline for this, if it's
basically just a label-less groupbox? I think it would make more sense
to just have one HIG for grouping which says that one should provide a
label to a group frame if possible, but may also use a frame without a
label if grouping makes sense but no suitable name can be found.