[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Buttons

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Sep 23 11:05:50 UTC 2013

Am Sonntag, 22. September 2013, 15:32:23 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> > Buttons are graphical controls that provides the user a simple way to
> Do we need that detailed description of the appearance? If people use the
> correct widget, all that comes automatically...
Okay, stripped down.

> > ** Clicking the button will drop down the menu only.
>
> I do not get the distinction between "a group of actions" and "a small set
> of related functions" here. What's the difference between the two?
It would be a strange layout to place a couple of buttons against each other.
Actually, users are hindered to find the right control. (In case of toolbar
buttons we have icons to faciliate perception.) Therfore one should not use
more than about 3 command buttons at once. For example imagine a dialog with
'Abort', 'Save', 'Don't save' (and exit), and 'Continue editing' (and save
first).
For menu buttons its okay to have more features but it makes no sense to
clutter the menu. A 'small set of' sounds like a good term to describe about
10 or less items.

> > * Prefer using icons on buttons only for OK, Apply or Cancel like actions.
> > Passive actions like those in the "System Settings => Application
> > Appearance => Fonts" do not have icons.
>
> Except in toolbars if they are configured to show icons.
I think it's better to add the recommendation 'always use icons on toolbar
buttons' at the respective page. We will come to the question whether or not
the toolbar may contain of passive functions at all.