[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Menu bar

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Sep 23 10:33:12 UTC 2013

Am Sonntag, 22. September 2013, 15:19:24 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> Okay. The wording "use standard items for categories" still doesn't seem
> clear to me. Maybe "Use these standard menu categories if they apply to your
> application:" would work better?
Okay, applied.

> > Every application should include a main menu. Users should not be able to
> > hide this menu bar.
>
> A menu in a menu button instead of a menu bar is not hidden, is it? I still
> do not see a convincing argument for the necessity of a classical menu bar.
> For me it's only necessary that the menu items are always accessible
> without having to press a keyboard shortcut first.
> Firefox and Chromium have had menu buttons instead of menu bars by default
> for a while now, and it seems like not many users have complained about
> them, so why can we not use them?

We should not define a guideline based on single (non-KDE) programs that use a
different interaction which user do not complain about. (I do always if I get
asked *g*).
I strongly believe that KDE has to stay 'classic' (I don't talk about Plasma
Active). We should not run experiments like Gnome's (over-) simplification or
Apple's/Microsoft's flattism. As long users interact with keyboard/mouse,
respectively use desktop PC, as long we should use well established controls.
The menu bar is the first place to go for an overview of provided function, it
defines the difference between primary and secondary windows, and it frames the
application along with the statusbar.
Last (and least) argument: We describe the current state. Almost all KDE
programs use a menu bar.