[kde-guidelines] Phrasing of selection teasers

Diego Moya turingt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 13:44:54 UTC 2013

To clarify - when I say "multi-selection list" I'm referring to the
[Available items] list.

The alternative that I propose still could be seen as a dual list, sort of,
in the most general case (where the [Selected items] is can not be safely
removed as not needed); but it requires a reduced number of clicks, and no
need to multi-select with Ctrl+click.

One major problem of the classic Dual List is that it's confusing because
both lists are given equal weight. So another advantage of my proposal over
the dual list with arrows suggested at the HIG is that the [Available
items] list is made the primary control; the [Selected items] can be made
subsidiary, de-emphasized. This increases the visual hierarchy, directing
user interaction towards the [Available items] in the first interaction
when no items are still selected.

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/DualList