[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Status bar

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Wed Oct 2 13:53:37 UTC 2013

Am 02.10.2013 14:46:14, schrieb David Edmundson:
> > * Provide a status bar in the main window of every standard application.
>
> This goes against a massive discussion that was on Plasma once (that
> never went anywhere)
>
> Link to thread, and the most relevant reply on it.
> http://osdir.com/ml/plasma-devel/2011-10/msg00297.html

 Thanks for the link, interesting reading.

I would conclude to define a standard, and not to hide or omit it. But whatever we decide, that's what the HIG is used for :-).

My two cents: A standard application concists of a main menu, tool bar, and status bar (and a navigation area and a content area). Moving any part off the main window (by default) is gnomish or apple'ish. The real KDE way would be to have an option to switch status bars on/off, in general. But if we allow users to get rid of the status bar we need to define an alternative way to present the information (which might be comprehensive). I don't think all programs should have special, fancy pop-ups in rekonq style for 'short term info', and I would call it an abuse to feed "long term stuff" into the title bar. I vote for keeping it.