[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Status bar

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Nov 6 10:12:03 UTC 2013

On 04.11.2013 17:34, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> On Monday 04 November 2013, 14:48:15 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>>> The status bar ‘frames’ the form and, thereby, has a
>>> white-space function which is part of the operating system or desktop
>>> environment branding. Because secondary forms like dialog boxes must not
>>> use a status bar it denotes a form as primary window too.
>>
>> I'd remove that part because it primarily tries to sell the idea that it
>> makes sense to always show a status bar, which makes it sound a little
>> weird that we discourage its use in the next one.
> Okay, although it hurts ;-)
> (You are right, it sounds weird.)
>
>>> KDE applications should not use a conventional status bar by default to
>>> maximize the space for content
>>> <ref>http://user-prompt.com/what-is-a-status-bar-good-for/</ref>.
>> That almost seems a little too strong to me. Maybe
>> "KDE applications should only use a conventional status bar unless there
>> is useful information which should be permanently displayed."? This may
>> be too weak...
> Weakness is the question. It would make sense to keep the conventional status
> bar if we find a clear advice in which situation it should be used. But there
> isn't any function that cannot be replaced or moved away.
> E.g. Kmail composer shows
> * Insert/Override: could be moved to a toolbar toggle button (and is shown
> always per hardware led)
> * Auto spellchecking on/off: function is switched on/off via toggle item in the
> menu bar, and can be reviewed there or in a toolbar
> * Row/Column: Who needs to know where the cursor is right now? Those functions
> can be found in many applications. Kate "solves" it by showing the line number
> inline. Why not do the same for col position with a horizontal ruler?

Okay, let's stick with strong discouragement then. This should improve
consistency if we can get devs to change their applications (we'll
probably have to talk to each team behind an application that currently
has a status bar in order to individually find the ideal replacements.

Maybe we can add "If you cannot find good replacements for status bar
functions, please contact kde-usability at kde.org so the usability team
can find a solution"?

>> Devs: Is it technically possible to place a toolbar at the bottom?
> Have a look at Kate. There is a misplaced status bar (can be switched off)
> above a toolbar. And Teo said he is fine with the page :-).
>
> Today I tried Akregator's feature to switch off the menu bar (same for Choqok).
> It's very easy to get rid of it, just a click, but it tooks hours to get it
> back. And I still don't know how the devs planned it at all because I used a
> trick.
> I would be glad with a general switch that shows SB for all apps or not. The
> guideline would only state to make all functions available in another way. But
> I'm afraid that an option like this can be accomplished only by the window
> manager and has a major impact on the whole system. Martin wrote something in
> this regard...

Yes, a global switch would be nice. I don't know how easy or complicated
that would be technically.