[kde-guidelines] KStyleguide

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Tue May 28 14:55:03 UTC 2013

Am 26.05.2013 04:57:24, schrieb David Edmundson:
> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/110389/
>
> This is not a developer using the notification framework, this is a
> developer changing the notification framework.
> The latter should not be covered in the HIG, as the HIG needs to say
> how to use the frameworks we have in order to stay relevant.
> @autistici.org>
 Hm... (It's not finally clear to me what we add and what not)
 > Notifications in KDE are here:
> http://api.kde.org/4.10-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdeui/html/classKNotification.html
> @autistici.org>

"persistant notifications: Notify when the user received a new message,
or when something else important happened the user has to know about.
This notification has a start and a end. It begins when the event
actually occurs, and finishes when the message is acknowledged or read."
That's not my understanding of a notification. And I dislike the behaviour described below at the class ref. When I receive a message "Bob shouts: Hello World" the notification forces me to do something (close) and, therefore, seems to be more relevant than auto close notifications (e.g.  "Only
12 minutes left.").
On the other hand, the class reference is pretty comprehensive. As far as I understand, the most interesting part is "KNotification * KNotification::event" with the properties:
eventId: does not really HIG, perhaps part of best practice
title, text: as discussed
pixmap: just a simple "use it"?
widget: does not affect HIG
flags: In which case should CloseOnTimeout/Persistent/CloseWhenWidgetActivated/ be used (if not as defined above)?
componentData: does not affect HIG

What do we need to specifiy with the KDE HIG?