[kde-guidelines] KStyleguide

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Fri May 17 08:43:19 UTC 2013

Am Donnerstag, 16. Mai 2013, 22:17:31 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> I don't think that we should design the standard around ... edge cases.
Agreed.

> Ideally, the configuration of when to notify of low disk space should go into
> the Notifications settings...
That's what we need to make clear. Beyond the Dos and Don'ts it's important to
know the Why and When. Without this example I'd never come up with the idea of
adding controls to the notification (regardless if it makes sense).

> I don't think a combo button would be necessary.
Okay. In respect to the styleguide: We should add discussions like this in
short to each item.
* Don't add controls to the notification.
"Controls distract the user from the plain information and simplifies the
interaction too much. Decisions about the content have to be done in the
respective dialog."

(This is rather my understanding of a notification which would question the
configure button again -> out of topic.)

> As said above, I find the reaction buttons useful.
Sorry, I wrote the reply above before reading this part. But those details are
out of topic, IMHO.

If we manage to define the W's clearly the how-to for devs becomes easier.

* What is a notification? (system-driven, out-of-context information)
* What is the opposite of/alternative to a notification? (message dialog in
case of more important information or tooltips for user-driven info; text
directly located at the processing for in-context)
* What interaction does it offers to users? (close immediately instead of fade
out; open notification settings)
* Why does notifications are configured in KCM? (KDE = full control for users;
centralized configuration; overlapping features in on option, e.g. sounds on
notification)
* W...

I have the feeling that we are aligned on the content now and sensibilized
about possible problems. Perhaps we should discuss the basic structure once
again, aka table of content.