[kde-guidelines] KStyleguide

Dr. Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Thu May 16 08:54:32 UTC 2013

Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013, 22:25:17 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> On Wednesday 15 May 2013 10:03:36 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> > (I recommend to rethink this
> > behaviour. If more than these two options are possible, a dropdown menu
> > perhaps via menu button with close as default fits better than close,
> > configure, open trash, etc. as shown in the last ticket.) - If more than
> > one information is shown the notification panels are stacked. - ...
>
> Seems like I missed that ticket. Who proposed to have more than the close
> and configure buttons at the top?
> Action specific to a certain notification are shown inline and not at the
> top, and currently I don't see any other buttons then the aforementioned to
> there...
The picture https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/110389/file/571/ shows the
options Open File Manager, Do Nothing, Configure... for Low Disk Space,
moreover special font at Now playing (which isn't a notification at all), and
improvable captions (KDialog Notification), certainly because it is an example.

The button "Configure..." and the tool icon contain different settings but start
similar functions - both are used to configure stuff. Do users understand this
sophistication? Isn't "Do Nothing" similar to the close action? Should we
allow those controls, just because one tool provides it?

There is no clear match to current reality. A styleguide is of course
descriptive, but due to it's nature it will become more or less normative.
Otherwise we wouldn't need it.

Dos and Don'ts:
- Don't add further controls.
- Don't override default settings.
- Don't use programing terms for text.

The latter is a rather generic advice which should be moved to section 3 if we
decide to follow my proposal.

|Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013, 12:07:23 schrieb David Edmundson:
> Can I suggest we separate the tasks  "how an app developer should use
> existing KDE libs" and trying to change what the KDE libs do.
At least Qt shouldn't be part of our styleguide :-).
I wonder how to decide what is lib specific and what's under dev's control.

Basically, I like how Microsoft creates the Windows styleguide (except from
the structure, in particular the design principles). The API function
MessageBox() [1] can be used to create just the dialog and the styleguide [2]
referes only to the options that are available.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms645505%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511268.aspx#modalDialogBoxes