[kde-guidelines] Conventions in the HIG

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Tue Jun 25 15:58:59 UTC 2013

On Friday 21 June 2013 18:31:33 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> On Thursday 20 June 2013 19:44:44 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> > > The universal model intends to include as much usability related stuff
> > > as
> > > possible. Especially the first part, structure, is rather basic
> > > information on
> > > the whole project. It's a good place for terminology in my opinion. But
> > > a link
> > > to any other page works good as well. And the ui files are of course
> > > better off
> > > at some "contributing to" page (or at an additonal section "Addendum").
> >
> > Okay, so "Terminology" was intended to be used for terminology
> > conventions within the HIGs (like Controls vs. Widgets)?
> > If so, we don't need to put it into a separate "Contributing to the HIG"
> > page I guess...
>
> So "Terminology" or "Contributing_to_the_HIG"? Make up your mind :)

OK, I am going to start this Contributing_to_the_HIG page tonight, replacing
the, now outdated, tutorial [1], which I managed to miss.

I am considering adding a TODO section to this page instead of adding notes
inside the HIG pages themselves. This would help to avoid forgetting a TODO or
a FIXME in an HIG page, give us a better overview of the work in progress and
would give a more "finished" look to the HIG.

This last point is quite important to me: we need to keep in mind the HIG is
actually in use right now, even if it is incomplete. We are making changes to
a "production system", so the scaffolding should be kept hidden as much as
possible.

Aurélien

[1]: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/UI_Files