[kde-guidelines] Drop-down list and Combo box

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Jun 13 22:03:00 UTC 2013

On Thursday 13 June 2013 22:41:53 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 11. Juni 2013, 22:07:54 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> > > Use a drop-down list for single selection of one out of many items.
> > > For a single selection out of a large number of items, use a list view.
> >
> > What's the exact distinction here? Personally, I'd distinguish mainly
> > based
> > on available space. If there is enough vertical space for a tall list box,
> > it works better for single selection because you can see more options at
> > once. If you don't have the vertical space, you have to use a drop-down
> > anyway. Not sure if that is a sufficient criterion for distinction,
> > though.
>
> To always favor list views sounds to me like mobile device stuff ("gnomish"
> comes in my mind). E.g. I don't care about other days of week when I have
> selected friday. A selection is not always a view.

Agreed, so we should use other criteria as well, in addition to available
vertical space.
I just found it confusing when I first read "Use a drop-down list for single
selection of one out of many items." and then later on "For a single selection
out of a large number of items, use a list view." because it was like
if a then b
if a then c
It's just a matter of wording, though. When you've finished the rework, I'll
see if I can find a wording which we don't find confusing ;)

> All other questions have been answered by Aurelien, I guess. I'll do the
> rework of the article within the next days.

Great :)