[kde-guidelines] Current page suggestions

Todd Rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 08:54:16 UTC 2013

I posted these suggestions on Thomas's blog, but he said he thought
there should be a more permanent place for such comments, and
suggested I join the group.  Considering this is venue more suited to
discussion, I thought I should cross-post them here.

If it is more appropriate to create separate threads for each, I can
do so, but I didn't want to spam the mailing list right after
subscribing.

1. A lot of what I see with the widgets is “use this widget under this
circumstance, use this other widget under this other circumstance”.
This might lend itself to a decision tree, where the user selects from
a list of progressively more specific options until they get to a
single widget that is appropriate for what they want to do.

2. In the “two lists” page, it is unclear grammatically whether
allowing supporting drag-and-drop is mandatory or optional. It also
might be good to have separate “sortable single list” entry, and refer
people to the HIG on that for the right-hand list. There is also
nothing about the placement of the arrows, especially the up-down
arrows which are often placed inconsistently (i have seen right, top,
and bottom for sortable single lists).

3. I think combining the spin box and slider pages might be good,
especially with the combined spinner/slider case mentioned at the end
of the slider page. Also, should there be any rules about prefixes and
suffices in spinners? What about float vs integer guidelines?

4. Should the “wording” page mention something about warning dialogs
for “delete”?

5. In the ellipses section, in the third entry you say not to use
ellipses with “Print”, but everywhere else on the page you say to use
ellipses with “Print”

6. In “wording”, “Use Options for a configuration dialog which
provide.” is not a complete sentence.

7. I think the “don’t make the menu bar hideable” should be amended to
include something like “unless it is automatically replaced with a
toolbar button”.

8. I think the KNS entry should mention that there should always be a
button to install an item without using KNS (since KNS only works with
files hosted on the KNS page, which many files are not).

9. In the “Date Time” page it is not clear what is wrong with the “bad” example”