[kde-guidelines] List view

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Jun 9 15:39:37 UTC 2013

On Friday 07 June 2013 17:38:57 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 6. Juni 2013, 17:10:33 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> > True. However, selecting multiple mails at once there is a nicety, not a
> > necessity. Users who do not want to or cannot use multi-select via
> > keyboard can do everything one mail at a time.
> > So yes, list boxes can be used if users never _have to_ select mutliple
> > elements at a time.
>
> What if users want to select all items (from a huge list) starting with the
> letter A. Or all files that have been created today. If no special filter is
> provided one can sort by the feature (name or time), browse to the first
> item, left click it, browse to the last and shift-click it to have all
> selected at once.

Well, a good UI provides both, checkboxes _and_ shift/control for multi
select. I don't know where I can see a checkbox list in action, but I hope
that it does provide both.

> What's about this:
> * Multiple selection should be done rather with check boxes when selection
> is complex, does not depend on sorting, or the process of selection takes
> some time.
>
> or simply only the latter
>
> * Multiple selection should be done rather with check boxes when the process
> of selection takes some time.
> * Multiple selections makes sense for simple selections of many items.

If a UI provides both ways, there is no need to distinguish. Users can select
both items few and far between, and a bunch of neighboring items.