[kde-guidelines] [Kde-accessibility] List view

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Jun 9 15:34:07 UTC 2013

On Saturday 08 June 2013 10:32:39 Peter Grasch wrote:
> On 06/06/2013 10:51 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > I've CC'ed the accessibility list because I'd like to hear what they
> > think about list boxes and on-screen keyboards.
>
> I'm unsure what the a11y question here is.
>
> Does the control key of on-screen keyboards work like the physical one?
> Yes. Can it be used to multi-select items in a list box? Yes. Is that
> nice / easy to use? No. (imho, of course)
>
> If you're asking if assistive software can identify / handle
> multi-select lists, the answer is yes (AT-SPI exports that information
> through STATE_MULTISELECTABLE).

Thank you for the reply!
I was wondering if maybe the a11y team has some experience with users trying
to actually use multiselect in a listbox with a virtual keyboard and can tell
us how much of a problem it is in reality.
It feels like a bad thing to do to me, but of course we'd like to base our HIG
on facts, not feelings ;)

Your reply did help us already, though. Now we at least know about the
technical side of things for sure.

Thanks,.
Thomas