[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Check boxes

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jun 4 18:39:09 UTC 2013

On Saturday 01 June 2013 10:58:27 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Am Freitag, 31. Mai 2013, 23:16:38 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> > Okay, I guess I not know what you mean. It just might be confused with
> > dependent controls in the same dialog. E.g. setting the checkbox for a
> > feature to "Activated" would enable the controls to configure it in the
> > same dialog.
>
> I added an example (Actually I've seen the "[ ] Print" feature recently:
> users check the box and the printer starts immediately to work)
>
> (It's not a good idea when I do the examples because the layout is not
> stored as xml/ui-file).

Hm, I'm not sure whether the example works well without its context. Just
seeing a checkbox with a button right next to it makes it seem redundant (why
not just put a button there?). Maybe we should get and modify the .ui file for
the whole dialog so people can see what it's about.

> > I guess people sometimes do that if they want to conserve space in a
> > dialog
> > when something is deactivated. I just think it might help to make it clear
> > what should and should not be done.
>
> Okay, your sentence is in.

:)

> |* Don't use a check box for more than 10 options, use a (drop-down) list.
>
> I'm not shure about this. Do we need to distinguish between single
> checkboxes and a list of cb (with a scrollbar). And why shouldn't a large
> list with a few selections be allowed as checklistbox? My alternative
> advice:
> * "For more than 5 associated options use a check box list." -> An example
> could be days of week
> * "Consider to apply a dual-list pattern if more than only a few selections
> have to be made."

A drop-down list in fact does not seem to make sense here it all, since it's
just 1 of n selection whereas checkboxes are m out of n, so it can only be
either checkboxes or dual-list.

What exactly do you mean by a checkbox list? I can't really picture it right
now...