[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Check boxes

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jun 4 18:21:22 UTC 2013

On Friday 31 May 2013 16:11:26 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Well, I have to make my positon about alignment less absolut. ;-)
>
> But two further aspects additonal to the other mail: this tabular layout
> adds a virtual column to the dialog. It looks pretty nice in simple panels
> but with some kind of a navigation sidebar to the left the layout gets
> fragmented. More relevant, I'm afraid that this layout will be applied to
> all dialogs. I was just looking though kmail settings and these dialogs
> have a common horizontal layout. And mixing both layouts is really weird.

Agreed: We need to make a clear distinction for where a "form" (i.e. tabular)
layout should be used and where not.
I'm not sure about the criteria for that distinction, though. If there is a
lot of variation in the sizes of a dialog's elements, that's a sure sign that
a tabular layout does not work well because it would be too noisy.
Tabular layouts make more sense for dialogs with lots of similarly sized
elements. Not sure if that would be a good criterion, though...