[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Check boxes

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Sat Jun 1 09:16:32 UTC 2013

Am Freitag, 31. Mai 2013, 23:24:07 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> I agree with Aurélien here: I don't think HIGs are the place for introducing
> major changes. Right now almost all KDE applications place labels on the
> side so if the HIG says they should be placed above, it would be completely
> out of sync with reality.
Of course, we do not want to introduce changes. But I think both layouts are
used to the same extend by now. I found only a few check boxes with additional
left caption.

Horizontal layout:
+/- less vertical space
- heavy rework necessary
- boring design

Tabular design:
- probably trouble with RTL (I still think the alignment interferes with the
orientation) and localizations (text length matters)
+ good way of identification (in terms of branding)
+ well established (?)

More pluses for tabular design, but...

> Yes, we could indeed make a distinction here, like
> "In places that are far taller than wide (such as sidebars) place labels
> above controls instead of on the left"
...this exceptions are very important. It's not only the vertical space
limitation currently.

While looking through dialogs I just found another strange implementation:
checkbox with line breaks. This applys to alignment, IMHO. "Do not add line
breaks for single line controls like radio button and check box."