[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Alignment

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Jul 31 10:56:44 UTC 2013

On 30.07.2013 16:04, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> As discussed recently the appearance aspects of some controls are
> similar, and we decided to duplicate the content. I think we should keep
> track as well of the presentation layer, in particular of the alignment
> page. I reviewed the content and moved parts regarding check boxes (and
> radio buttons) to the respective pages, and the rest together with some
> new bullets into a new page.
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Alignment
>
> The page is not referenced yet but should replace Form_Label_Alignment
> if you agree. I marked one image and one advice for discussion. Because
> we have a good basis of examples right now it might be better to read
> the wiki than the following text.

I like it!
I assume we all agree on everything but the alignment across groups.
Personally, I don't have a strong opinion on this. I liked Aurélien's
reworks of forms to alignment across groups, but I see valid arguments
against it as well. Since to me it's more a matter of aesthetics than
usability, I'd like to ask the visual design team for their take on this.

So, dear artists: From a visual design perspective, is it better to have
multiple groups of widgets and labels (each in its own GroupBox) in the
same form all aligned to a common vertical line, or should they only be
aligned within their groups? (I'd love to post a link to the
before-after comparisons Aurélien did of some forms, but I cannot find
them in his blog :( )
I'd love to hear your take on this.

Cheers,
Thomas