[kde-guidelines] Placement and alignment of explanations in forms

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Jul 28 14:21:24 UTC 2013

Howdy,
today when I reviewed a new form in KTp (see
http://git.reviewboard.kde.org/media/uploaded/files/2013/07/28/steam1.png ) I
noticed that the placement and alignment of the explanation for the Steam
Guard Code seemed "wrong" to me. It felt like it should be
a) Aligned with the widget, not the label (or maybe it's aligned with the left
edge of the form, can't tell that from the screenshot)
b) Placed below the widget it explains
I felt like the placement of supplemental text in a form was already covered
in an HIG, but could not find any, so I think we should add it to the form
layout HIG.
Do you think the suggested placement and alignment makes sense, or is above
the widget and aligned to the label better?
Placing the text below the widget it explains has the advantage that users
already know the context when they read the additional information, but the
disadvantage that they might be confused in the period between seeing the
widget/label and reading the supplemental text.