[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Tool-tips

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Jul 8 09:55:27 UTC 2013

Am Donnerstag, 4. Juli 2013, 15:10:57 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
> > * Use user defined default timeouts for initialization, reshow, and
> > removal. Don't disable auto hide feature.

>Developers cannot alter any of those so it may not be worth keeping it.
Removed.

>QWhatsThis is not really info-tip though, because its primary use case is to
>support the "what's this?" mode. The ability to show a QWhatsThis window
>independently from this mode is a by-product. I think we should not promote
>info-tips and we should not mention QWhatsThis as implementing them info-tip
>for now, instead we should get a proper widget to show them, this widget
>would look either like a '?' button or a link-like label and would show the
>tip when triggered.
The question mark button is mentioned with "* Consider to add small info
buttons for use tips with a touch screen." But it is another level of
information because the normal tooltip pops up without user action and the
QWhatsThis needs a little bit more action. Remember the first rule for computer
novices: Don't click this!

Info-tips are those tips that are more descriptive with icons and formatting.
I believe we need a rule when devs should use an info-tip and when tool-tips.
My suggestion:

* Do not use icons and formattings for tips of unlabeled controls.
* Use info-tips with icons and formattings
** if tips describe comprehensive functions,
** when content is lengthy and formatting improves readability
** for tips that are implemented primarily for joy of use.