[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Slider

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Jul 4 11:48:52 UTC 2013

On Thursday 04 July 2013 13:02:08 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> "* If the value is open-ended on one or both ends, consider using a
> [[../Spin_Box|Spin Box]] instead."
> -> Removed completely because spin boxes have limits as well.

Why do they have limits? I can increase (and decrease if it allows negative
numbers) a number with a spinner indefinitely, so I think that guideline makes
sense.

> "* For cases where the values are constrained at both ends and there large
> ranges of integers (more than about 20) or floating-point values that
> require precise control, consider providing both a
> [[../Slider_and_Spin_Box|Slider and Spin Box]]. This allows the user to
> quickly set or fine-tune the setting more easily than they could with the
> slider control alone."
> -> Removed completely because it is redundant

Why is this redundant? Doesn't it make sense to link to the other guideline
here?

> Added
> * Don't change the size of the slider indicator from the default size.

Can that be changed? If not, we don't need to explicitly dicourage it. If it
can be changed, we should find out why.

> * Give immediate feedback while user makes a selection.
> * Size the control so that a user can easily set the desired value.
> And for discussion because non-linear scales are sometimes recommended for
> large ranges:
> * Do not use a non-linear scale, e.g. logarithmic.

I agree: Using an analog control like a slider for a non-numeric scale would
be confusing.