[kde-guidelines] Date/Time picker (Was: Grunt work)

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Thu Jul 4 11:22:27 UTC 2013

Am Donnerstag, 4. Juli 2013, 12:55:31 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> I could not find the clear buttons in any real-life date or time pickers in
> KOrganizer and Date and Time settings. Which widgets are they using? Do the
> clear buttons really make sense for date and time pickers?
> If we want to keep them in, the guideline makes sense, but since the tooltip
> for the clear buttons says "Clear text", I'd change the guideline to "When
> a date or time input field is cleared, reset it to the current date or
> time". Or maybe "...reset it to the previously saved value or to the
> current date or time if no previously saved value exists" ?
What's about (ab)using the reset button for today/now? Of course with the
correct tooltip. Otherwise I agree with Thomas to omit it.

> I'd suggest to replace the first two guidelines with the following:
> Does that distinction make sense to you?
I added it to the text for now, it's better than nothing.

Personally, I don't like KDateWidget and KDateTimeWidget - too much controls
(isn't it annoying to click through the whole line to get a certain date?) and
no advantage over comboboxes. The resulting options are combo or grid, and the
decision between depends on browsing vs. knowing and space.

BTW, what happens when the combo box is dropped down? Does the picker shows
up?

And for future improvements: there could be a widget designed that provides
time picking, perhaps in terms of an analog watch.