[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Wording

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Dec 30 10:00:20 UTC 2013

Am 29.12.2013 16:46:02, schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> > * KDE personas are not tech savvy; so your app should use an easy to
> > understand terminology.
>
> While this is certainly true for most applications, there also some
> specialized applications created by KDE (for example some scientific
> applications). These may use terms which are unfamiliar to the general public,
> but familiar to their specific target audience.
> Maybe we should change this to "use terminology that is familiar and to and
> thus easy to understand for your application's target audience"?

Good idea.* Use a terminology that is familiar and easy to understand for the target audience (i.e. Persona) of your application.

 > > * Avoid abbreviations, acronyms, and tech-babble.
> > * Use a tone that’s informal and friendly, but not too familiar.
>
> I don't think "familiar" is the correct word here, because it usually means
> "well known", which I think is good in our case ;). I'd go with "not too
> informal".

Applied
 > > ** Use ''Options'' for a configuration dialog which provide.
>
> Provide what? There seems to be one or more words missing in this sentence.

Well spotted. It's from the old page. My first idea was that "Options" should be used for general features, in contrast to "Settings" that are used to "set specific properties or functionality". But perhaps its rather meant for "optional" features, which does not affect the workflow, for instance. I have no idea with the second part ("This usually applies to object configuration tools.") and replace it therefore.

** Use ''Options'' for a configuration dialog which provides facultative features. This usually applies to the appearance and individualization.