[kde-guidelines] Password Field

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Dec 6 12:45:31 UTC 2013

On Friday, December 6, 2013 14:30:25 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Am Freitag, 6. Dezember 2013, 13:12:21 schrieb Björn Balazs:
> > Entering Passwords
>
> Passwords are taken into account for line edits
> (http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/LineEdit):
>
> * Mask letters if edit is used to enter passwords.
> ** When setting a new password, have it entered twice to prevent typos in
> passwords.

horribly annoying imho

> ** Provide a "Show password" check box to unmask the password both when
> setting new and when entering existing passwords.

yeah, and then we have these checkboxes everywhere taking up more space and
providing more clutter. it’s possible, but i like Björn’s suggestion of
something in the line itself. could use, e.g, an eye icon or other imagery
that works (requires testing)

> But it is worth to think about the idea to show recently typed letters for a
> short period. @Devs: Would this, rather web based technology, be a problem
> for Qt?

this is not hard to do. as Björn noted though, this is not an option in
certain circumstances.

one thing to keep in mind is that this is a global setting that may need
frequent changes. it also feels like a “micro-managing” configuration. it might
be better to be able to set a general privacy/security policy somewhere (e.g.
a panel icon) to switch between public/private usage. really feels a lot like
activities, though with a different granularity.

--
Aaron J. Seigo