[kde-guidelines] Password Field

Björn Balazs b at lazs.de
Fri Dec 6 12:12:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

working with Jan on the Networkmanager, I stumbled over a problem we face in
many areas:

Entering Passwords

The problem I want to address is about the visibility of the password. To
avoid errors, it would be cool to see the password, but if I am in an public
environment, this might be not such a good idea.

Hence the visibility depends rather on my environment, than on the actual
password I have to enter.

I think this is something we should solve centrally. I think of something
like:

Password: [____________][VIS]

So there should be toggle button [VIS] directly attached to the password field
that toggles the visibility. I could imagine that its state could be stored
centrally, so when I have to enter the next Password, visibility is like it
was the last time.

Perhaps we could even bind it to some environmental variables, like: Power not
attached? -> Hide Password.

Side note: There are some solutions, that display the last entered digit for a
short time, so a toggle solution might be not sufficient - or we need a 3
state toggle something...

What do you think?

Cheers,
Björn