[kde-guidelines] Grids

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Thu Aug 29 14:01:17 UTC 2013

Am 26.08.2013 16:05:38, schrieb Heiko Tietze:
> Am Montag, 26. August 2013, 12:59:50 schrieb David Edmundson:
> > I'm not sure I fully understand the question.
> > There's a QTableView
> > http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtwidgets/images/qtableview-resized.png
> Exactly! Is there a difference from the point of implementation between list
> view with multiple columns and this table view?

The guideline for list view states:
Implementation
* QListView, for single-column lists.
* QTreeView, for multi-column lists. Be sure to set the rootIsDecorated property to false if the items in your list do not have children.
But QTreeView does not look like lists with multiple columns, IMHO. I'd recommend to rethink it in respect to QTableView.

At the moment I'm unsure whether we should 'allow' lists with multiple columns or rather separate simple lists from grids (aka tables). On a first glance I'd say lists do not have inline editing but tables does. Or do I expect editing on single clicks for tables and after double click with lists? What else: Usually, tables have a distinct bevel and a fixed first column (both are non-functional and not a guideline), tables can be extended in both directions... That's not productive, both controls may appear similar to users.

I vote for simple, single column 'lists' and extended, multi column 'tables'. Two, user-centric pages in the HIG, implemented by either QListView or QTableView. And perhaps we should duplicate the list view page for complex views without the selection stuff.

What do you think?